Author: Razorockham (Netherland), 19-04-2024 22:04

Typical Caseneuve-map - Resistance. Game A (Fr/Ang) - Heroes 4 map

Again a well-designed, but difficult map made by Caseneuve. His world is a vast maze, with complicated solutions to open new doors. more...

Author: Razorockham (Netherland), 19-04-2024 21:46

Demonologist Anita - Nefrith's Strory - Heroes 4 map

Nefrith's Story indeed is a real RPG map. Good story-line, no mistakes. I played on champion level, but even with more easier levels this map is far from 'easy'- as the maker wants us to believe. Most helpful is the hero Anita - acquire her help and her 'summon imps' spell a more...

Author: Andor (UK), 19-04-2024 20:28

Feedback - Battle Royale - Heroes 3 map

Runs decent with WOG but as usual there are occasional error crashes, good thing is they are not permanent, a quit reload and it's gone. more...

Author: Honey Locust (Usa), 19-04-2024 18:57

Oh yeah I didn’t test it with WOG at all, no idea how it handles or balances with that, uncharted territory!

A lot of the rest of the map is randomized so that also might affect challenge level, will deff look into the placements of things, though I will say- there is a way to access that monoli
more...

Author: ogogo (Lithuania), 19-04-2024 10:32

bug-hint - Призраки Солтмарша - Ghosts of Saltmarsh - Heroes 3 map

Thank you,
Спасибо,
Ačiū.
more...

Author: wasilix , 19-04-2024 09:51

- - Призраки Солтмарша - Ghosts of Saltmarsh - Heroes 3 map

Just in case if you didn't find a workaround mentioned in this thread in Russian: it's possible to find a flyshipyard (whatever this thing is called), and use it to fly over to these tents. Not sure if that's the intended way, but in case basilisk quest is bugged, that's a workar more...

Author: wasilix , 19-04-2024 09:50

- - Призраки Солтмарша - Ghosts of Saltmarsh - Heroes 3 map

People in this thread mentioned in Russian, that it's possible to find a flyshipyard (whatever this thing is called), and use it to fly over to these tents. Not sure if that's the intended way, but in case basilisk quest is bugged, that's a workaround you can use. more...

Author: Mango (Vietnam), 19-04-2024 00:53

-5 power by doing quest - Ira the Mage - Heroes 3 map

I also got stuck in Efreet fight, but after that i remembered the seer that give you -5 power by doing his quest. Hope this help s/o get stuck in the future.
Its near the stable right before you water walk to get into the fight
more...

Author: Andor (UK), 18-04-2024 23:29

SPOILER: Some of this issues might be caused by Wogification and new terrain I guess.

So the artifacts that are on islands for some reason AI doesn't touch them.

Few buildings that I couldn't reach:
Lizard Den around middle of the map
Refuge camp North on the map south of the Cast
more...

Author: Andor (UK), 18-04-2024 23:19

Edit - Battle Royale - Heroes 3 map

There are a few issues on the map, nothing major.

A few unreachable places
More important one, the first Quest Tower lvl 20 req is passable so you can go in there at any level.
more...

Author: Honey Locust (Usa), 18-04-2024 18:30

Crystal dragons - Battle Royale - Heroes 3 map

Your intuition is right but I won’t spoil the surprise beyond that ;) it’s a small reward but a nice one nonetheless! They’re set to the default spawn / growth, some of my play tests the CPU actually took them out but I guess if no one does early on they quickly get out of hand.

There are some ot
more...

Author: Honey Locust (Usa), 18-04-2024 18:27

Thanks! - Battle Royale - Heroes 3 map

Good to know! I will work on some fixes when I get more feedback so I can upload it all at once. What places were unreachable? I thought I blocked off that tower correctly but I guess not! more...

Author: Al (Canada), 18-04-2024 17:53

Great map - Island of Rabbits - Heroes 4 map

Awesome map! 10/10 would recommend more...

Author: Andor (UK), 18-04-2024 17:52

Edit - Battle Royale - Heroes 3 map

There are a few issues on the map, nothing major.

A few unreachable places
More important one, the first Quest Tower lvl 20 req is passable so you can go in there at any level.
more...

Subscribe to our Telegram Channel "maps4heroes.com" to be the first to receive NEW Maps and News for Heroes of Might & Magic 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2!

How can I support maps4heroes.com ?

YooMoney:
Login / Register on Maps4Heroes.com
Heroes 7 (VII) - Maps Heroes 6 (VI) - Maps Heroes 5 (V) - Maps Heroes 4 (IV) - Maps Heroes 3 (III) - Maps Heroes 2 (II) - Maps

Subscribe to our Telegram Channel "maps4heroes.com" to be the first to receive NEW Maps and News for Heroes of Might & Magic 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2!

Heroes4 - Your opinions about A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE - map rating = 11 Likes

Title:
Type your opinion in the space below:
Your name:
E-mail:

Your vote:
City, Country:
Attach the picture: (Gif, Jpeg)
Download map A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE - heroes 4 mapsDownload map A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE - heroes 4 maps

Download map -> A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

Heroes 4: Winds of War

If you are a veteran player looking for a serious challenge, here's your chance to prove you have mastered this game. Be prepared for massive, decisive battles of progressively tougher difficulty, with a grand finale destined to become a tactical nightmare! Recommended only for experienced players who know all the tricks of the game. Play this map on Champion level, with Mobile Guards.

Added: 20-10-2017

Heroes 4 maps: Heroes Masters - Chaos Land | Peasant Brawl | The Ambush | Snow land

| 1-30 | 31-60 | 61-79 |

Author: true if @ing me (Japan), 02-02-2020 23:49
Absugin game mechanics = "grandmaster" Kappa - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
This inhuman creature who made this trash map actually managed to destroy the original fun you used to have in this kind of games.
Banning skills and game mechanics so you can only manage to defeat the opponents by abusing the AI behavior.
So what you actually do is: Stun lock enemies 24/7, cleanse, shift, buff and use game exploits. 90% of the usual things, like dps skills, are OBSOLETE. A challenge? No, only RNG and little knowledge about OP skills against AI with a time limit applied... which you can do in any sort of mod to make it arbitrarily difficult (save whoring ftw).

Listen author, aka retard, take this appeal and leave this scene once and for ever. You may create such junk maps for trolling, but you're not allowed to call yourself a grandmaster for overcoming a mere bot by exploiting it. I could also just use CE to edit my resources or armies and there wouldn't be much moral difference in the end. Cheating is cheating and this also includes faulty gameplay in this imbalanced game. No one should play according to some wannabe grandmaster's ruleset.

Sidenote:
I left this map after 5 min, trying to comprehend the misleading and incomplete dialogs this punk skid implemented into the script. Thank you for wasting 5 mins of my lifetime. At least I realized quickly enough, how this is clearly an amateur attempt of heavily restricting the consumer's gameplay versatility. Your subjections about game mechanics have no meaning in this universe, plus, you don't take my freedom of doing what I want to do.

Valery writes:
05-02-2020 03:26

+ - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

Calling mapmaker retard, inhumane, trash, just because you didn't like the map? What YOU created for Heroes?

Author: Alex (Novorossiysk), 06-01-2020 01:11
Interesting map - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
Hi I've just finished this maps. I think it very interesting maps. Thanks to authos. I used 4 heroes order. 155 Titans and 500 Geens. With titans and geens only we have extra movement points. 1 mage was demonolog and can summon 25 devils. Then i cast on cycopes Displasment to move them from tower and kick them with devils. Computer was very stupid and hide their army behind the wall. I also cast illusion on devils by geens, so i can make 50 devils per round. So ever thunderbirds kill my summoned devils my illusion devils take 2 damage. Then i summon elves to remove protection from hero with 2 shoots and the my Titans with precision and dragon strange kill the hero from 1 shoot. So after heroes was killed finished battle in 3 rounds.
Interesting map - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

Alex (Novorossiysk) writes:
06-01-2020 01:24

Continue - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

The most difficult for me was to beat chaos heroes because they had stronf fore magic but my heroes did't have magis resistance else. So I used cheat. I came in town and computer attacked me. 1 hero had sanctuary spell. And i used it in the begining of buttle. Then i walk down my shooters and hero from towers and move my another heroes from wall, so the computer shooters couldn't catch me. I wait while computer chaos mage and his shooters end their turn, and kick him with titans.

Author: Juliano (Brasil), 15-12-2019 03:33
Equilibris - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
Hi, is this map possible on equilibris? I just noticed by the comments that you disabled necromancy,an issue that was resolved in equilibris so I guess you didn't made the map counting on it. So the mode changes some things I wonder if it makes it impossible.

Erlend Wood (MAP CREATOR) (Rælingen, Norway) writes:
31-12-2019 16:10

Don't think Equilibris will work - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

Sorry, but if you want to give this map a try, you'll need the base game with both expansions installed (or the Complete version).

If the game will even allow you to open the map in Equlibris, it will probably mess it up in many unpredictable ways, the map is complicated and fine tuned to WoW. If you've got the expansions, just open your normal heroes4.exe instead of Equilibris and you'll be fine.

Erlend (MAP CREATOR) (Rælingen, Norway) writes:
10-01-2021 01:47

Possible, but not recommended - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

UPDATE: The map is playable in Equilibris, and it's possible to play it through to the end and complete it.

However, the map was fine tuned to the Winds Of War rule set, so the battles will sometimes play out different than they should, because of the modifications to spells and rules in Equilibris. Some things will be harder, but mostly it will be a bit easier than it should be, if Equlibris is used.

So I repeat the advice from my previous post: If you have Equilibris installed and want to play this map, it can be done, but you would be better off starting the .EXE file for the vanilla game in this case.

Author: nikotelli45 (Munich, Germany), 08-12-2018 21:00
Walk at a razor's edge...(feedback) - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
Dear Erlend,
first many thanks for creating this great map. I was able to beat Valhalla at the beginning of month 9 with a life army consisting of 103 Angels and 6 Heros, 1Main - Tactics, Combat, Life + 5 Archmages, all fulfilling a specific tactical role. Key for my life-tactic was mastering Divine Intervention with all heroes, so that in any case one hero would stay alive and resurrect the others. Playing with life was a challenge especially in the beginning before I was able to gain essential spells and skills for my tactics (mostly buffs for the angels, e.g. vampiric touch, cat reflexes, dragon strength, slayer as well as mind controlling spells like blind, wasp swarm or berserk). I got a bit lucky when I found two items on the map that gave my mind controlling mages the ability to control also elementals and undead, which allowed me to succeed in many fights. The final battle was also a big challenge with only one hero standing a couple of times (*those cyclopes :P)

Overall, the gameplay was incredible fun and demanding - I will for sure try it with another faction. Don't shy away from playing Life. It is manageable, but tough in many spots.

Again, shoutout to Erlend. This piece of work is incredible. Thank you, Nikolaus

26-09-2019 22:42

Thank you - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

Thanks for the approval, Nikolaus!

Author: DontPanic (Kraków), 01-12-2018 15:29
GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE FEEDBACK - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
Well, at the beginning a couple of words how i found this map.
I spent a lot of hours playing this game against computer opponents as well as human opponents (mainly with my brother) so i will consider myself as a veteran. Since me and my brother don't see each other so often I was looking on the websites to find some real threat. And boy oh boy...
This was the hardest map I have encountered. The strategic part have been pushed to the maximum. I managed to finish the map on my first attempt playing as Order with 2 heroes in about 18 months. Some of the fights I had to run many a time and had to use all of the tricks and knowledge I could to manage a win, but I did not use hit and run tactics - flaw on my honor :).
Thanks to the author of the challenge.
Suggestions:
I the undergrounds when I released the champion I completely missed the way out of there so I used Town Portal. It would be better if you could make it clearer.

26-09-2019 22:39

Hello to Poland - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

Thank you very much, DontPanic.

I agree with your statement regarding the underground: It could have been made clearer, since a lot of players missed the secret tunnel. But I don't want to modify the map any more, since I've forgotten what I did, and it's massively complex. But it may be worth repeating, in case any new players read this:

WHEN YOU REACH THE UNDERGROUND PRISON CELL OF THE WARDEN OF JUSTICE, THERE'S A SECRET WAY OUT OF THERE, WITH A TREASURE AT THE END OF IT. YOU ARE GIVEN CLUES, BUT WHAT IT MEANS IS: JUST SEARCH AROUND THOROUGHLY TILL YOU FIND THE SPOT. YOU WILL KNOW WHEN YOU HAVE FOUND THE SWITCH, BECAUSE A POPUP MESSAGE WILL TELL YOU SO.

Author: Disappointed, 31-10-2018 17:23
Can't get started - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
There really should be a huge disclaimer saying which things have been removed. Like which skills and spells. Maybe there is, but I haven't seen it yet.

Was looking forward to playing the map, but I just don't feel like playing a map where I'm forced to play certain style and have to wait to find out of certain magic trees are dead ends.

Would have been better without restrictions. Could have just rated the towns according to their actual capabilities instead of forcing them in a direction and then rating them based on that.

I'd have to agree with the guy who said: "You overpowered everything because you're like the DM/GM in tabletop RPG's that would rather hammer players rather than see them enjoy themselves.", at least the sentiment. It looks like a lot of effort went into the map, but it also just comes off as a huge screw-you to any diversion from the path laid ahead with all the restrictions.

26-09-2019 22:12

Dear Mr. Disappointed - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

Most of the information you requested is given through a popup window on day 5, labelled "TECHNICAL INFORMATION". Among other things, it tells exactly which Skills are disabled, and gives a rough idea of which Spells are missing. It even gives some insight into WHY these things where done. Trust me, nothing was removed without a good reason, the main one being: There are too many exploits and imbalances in the vanilla game.

To make it explicit: Summon Ship and Mass Exorcism (both Life), Mass Cancellation (Death), and Mass Dispel, Teleport, Steal All Enchantments, and Hypnotize (all Order) are the Spells that are gone. However, you CAN learn Exorcism, Cancellation and Dispel, you can use Berserk as a substitute for Hypnotize, and you will eventually find a way to learn Summon Ship. I disagree with the term "dead end": Even Order, which has 4 Spells disabled, still has 23 powerful Spells left to be learned - it's still on par with the other schools of magic, and it's totally worth it, even without Hypnotize!

I find no enjoyment in beating up players, like I say in the ending screen: I just made a map that I wanted to play myself, and because I found the learning process and all the research that went into the map creation interesting.

Author: Artail (Kolín, Czechia), 27-08-2018 22:05
Got beaten like a dog, but it's very enjoyable - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
I'm not an expert on HoMM, but played this game when I was a kid (Well I pretty much still am), so after long time I decided to play HoMM again. Played customs and campaigns alike (Around 30 hours of gameplay to get to know the game again a bit), but then I started looking on the internet for extra content, and found this master piece. First try, I played nature, and never managed to beat the orange player. Second try, I started on intermediate, still couldn't beat the oranges mighty heroes, who spammed me with cloud of confusion. Last try, chaos allegiance to counter the cloud, novice difficulty, I finally managed to beat the orange player, moved onto teal who didn't attack after I conquered orange, but as soon as I took his first city (Our strenght was similar), green suddenly attacked me, even though I anticipated he would wait until I make the first move. Well, with half of the oranges army back, I submited, admited my defeat. Challenge is awesome, but not the player who played it. 10/10.

26-09-2019 21:04

Hi Artail - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

Fun story! At least you made some progress, and I'm happy to hear you still found some enjoyment in the map, despite it being too hard of a challenge. Practice makes perfect!

Author: Goran (Osijek, Croatia), 27-07-2018 09:40
Couldn't finish it! - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
Great map and great challenge, but I couldn't finish it at the end, final army in Valhalla was simply too strong. Heroes had Mind Shield so there was no possibility to cast any spell on 1480 titans, who killed all my 500 faerie dragons with two shots. And heroes (Fury and Rage) had 1800 melee and ranged defense, impossible to kill with robe of the guardian.

Maybe to think about that, if you create such a bautifull and challenging map, don't make it unfinishable at the end.

Erlend Wood (MAP CREATOR), Norway (Strømmen, Norway) writes:
27-07-2018 17:07

Hi Goran - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

This map is not unbeatable, Goran! You probably gave up too easy. If you keep trying, analyze the situation, and come up a good plan, you'll eventually win. Everything on this map is thoroughly thought out and tested. And nothing has been tested and tweaked more than the last battle of Valhalla. You're not supposed to just walk into Valhalla and kick ass without even thinking about it on your first attempt. If you read the opening text on the very first day when you started the game, you were warned that the last battle would be hard, and in fact the "Mother Of All Battles". And that wasn't a joke, it's absolutely true. My goal was to make the last battle the climax of the map, basically the hardest single battle you've ever encountered in Heroes 4, while paying careful attention that it IS actually possible to win. And I wanted to achieve that not through brute force and an overwhelming number of enemies, but through putting the human player in a tactically demanding situation where they really have to think and use their intelligence and knowledge of the game to achieve final victory. In fact, Old Erik, whom you've already met and beaten recently, had a significantly stronger army than Rage and Fury. I've probably played through the last battle (not the whole game, just Valhalla) about 60-80 times personally, using various armies from the factions of Nature, Order, Death and Chaos, with both 2 and 3 heroes. I've beaten Rage and Fury multiple times with each, using about 4 fundamentally different approaches/strategie s. My friend who playtested the map for me several times, was very frustrated the first time he encountered Valhalla, but he never gives up easily, and after about 10-20 attempts, he was able to adapt and come up with something that worked. There are many thousands that have downloaded this map since it was released in 2012, and almost all of the players (about 50) that have given me feedback through personal e-mail, have been able to complete the map. You can read through some of them in the commentaries below if you want. Maybe you'll get a few ideas and pointers that will help you out.

I don't want to ruin the fun by spelling everything out, rather, I challenge you to crack this nut yourself. But I'll give a you few hints to get you started and headed in the right direction.

First of all, before you even enter Valhalla; PREPARATIONS:

First preparation: Try the battle once, then analyze the situation, and try rearranging the order of the troops in your army accordingly (different slots). For example, Rage and Fury are not always predictable, they may choose different strategies each time you play (that's one of the reasons you might have to try a couple of times even if you have a plan that works). But the Cyclopes are very predictable; they always try to kill the same target every time. So once you see through what they're doing, don't put your precious Faerie Dragons at that spot. Put your Sprites or Wolves there instead. If you can't find a way to preserve them, they can be sacrificed.

Second preparation: If you want an easier battle, just sit around and wait to accumulate more troops! Time is on your side. It seems most players think rushing to the last battle is most favorable. But I'll reveal a secret here: It isn't true. Yes, the Valhalla garrison WILL grow stronger every week. And Rage and Fury will eventually max out at level 70, which is the highest level allowed in Heroes 4. But the truth of the matter is; once you have 5 towns of your own faction, you'll accumulate troops much quicker than than Valhalla. So the longer you wait, the more the numbers will shift in your favor. It might be boring to sit around waiting, but it WILL make it easier. If you go for that option, you could take the opportunity to explore parts of the map that you may have skipped/rushed past, and complete all the quests, which I highly recommend anyway, since you will be rewarded with 4 really strong, unique items (including Relics) for each one completed. There are 7 quests, as far as I can remember. And also, if you (like a lot of others) missed this fact: There's a secret tunnel leading from the Warden of Jusice's prison cell (in the dungeon beneath Dragon Isle) to massive battle (biggest on the map) and a nice treasure. It isn't bugged, it works! Just search thoroughly until you find the hidden switch, and you'll be told so through a popup message.

Last preparation: Obviously you're playing as Nature. Did you take full advantage of all your Creature Portals? It might be tempting to hire Mantises, since they're level 4 and one of the strongest melee fighters in the game. But DON'T EVER DO THAT. It doesn't matter which map you're playing. Why? Because they're too damn expensive, that's why. Always buy either Water Elementals (magic attack) or Fire Elementals (ranged attack), depending on whether you prefer magic or another shooter. You only get 1 Mantis each week, while you could get 9 (level 3) Elementals instead. Easy choice, in my opinion. In the Valhalla battle specifically, having about 1000 Fire Elementals will be extremely helpful in one of the possible strategies, which is trying to eliminate Rage and Fury first. Having the same number of Water Elementals is equally helpful in another battle plan, trying to completely kill off all of the Cyclopes first.

I've already given a hint to the two most obvious angles. Here's a third option: Have you noticed the Cyclopes weakness? Even though Cyclopes are level 3, and Titans are level 4, Cyclopes are the strongest shooters in Heroes 4. But although their attack is immensely strong, they only have 8 stones. So in the Valhalla battle, where they throw 2 stones each turn, if you can survive their pounding for 4 turns, they'll be out of stones, and turn into the least dangerous piece on the battlefield. Trust me, it can be done, if you play your cards right.

There are other ways too, like if you can find a way to temporarily keep the Cyclopes occupied and out of the battle for a few turns. You don't necessarily need to kill them quite yet. And it isn't true that they're immune to everything. There are lots of spells that might work. Just right-click the Cyclopes to see which Wards and such are in play at any given time. One player that reported back to me solved the whole situation in a very simple way, by merely adding a very weak third hero, whose only task was to keep throwing a specific level 1 spell every single turn.

So there are many ways, just be creative. I challenge you to try again, since you're probably a pretty good player to have made it this far, almost completing the map. Most likely you've already spent dozens of hours on "A Grandmaster's Challenge". Why not spend another hour or so and try to solve my little puzzle?

Yours sincerely, Erlend Philip Wood (MAP CREATOR)

Goran (Osijek, Croatia) writes:
30-07-2018 09:44

Couldn't finish it! - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

First of all, thanks for your comprehensive response! You are a kind man :)

On start, one confession: I have played thousands and thousands of hours of HoMM4 and had no clue (until today) that you can cast some spells on creatures even if heroes have Mind shield. Shame on me!
I have read responses here and prepared for the game, as you announced it as super hard and saw that displacement and wasp swarm remarks, but due to the fact noted before, I didn't even try to cast spell. Money was not a problem during the whole game, I had few armies and heroes which sole purpose was to rob Keeps, Lairs, Temples and Dungeons. So I was able to afford Mantisa, as you said, they are one of the most powerful melee fighters.
Knowing all this, I will keep trying and combine different approaches, thanks once more!

30-07-2018 09:56

Regarding Mantises - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

The problem with Mantises is NOT that they cost a lot of money. They're certainly worth the Gold they cost, but that's not what I meant when I called them expensive. It's the fact that you only get 1 Mantis per week, whereas you get 9 Elementals per week. So you can recruit 9 times as many Elementals. I agree that Mantises are super strong, but having a very large army of Fire or Water Elementals will be a lot more helpful in completing this map.

Goran (Osijek, Croatia) writes:
30-07-2018 10:34

Regarding Mantises - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

Valid point, but I don't like those creatures due to one reason only: lack of movement. This was a very challenging map regarding movement. Yes, I had Elves so I could use elementals here. Maybe next time :)

Btw, I managed to finish final battle. Yaaay! :)SPOILER ALERT!!!

I used displacement for Cyclops and attacked heroes with Titans and Venom spawns. After that, Devils cleaned the ground. Was a bit lucky there, since UI heroes kept their army inside the fort, otherwise, they would slaughter my troops, like many times before.
I must complement once more your map, great great work, I simply adore maps with strong heroes and even more solo quests would be great (I enjoyed working with Warden, who by the end became a very powerfull hero). If you create another map, consider creating one man quest :)

Thanks once more and all the best!

Author: bocman (Switzerland), 23-07-2018 17:48
Mikhail - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
I understand that Author took away some magic from this map and some skills, which indeed makes some nation much more stronger than other. What I really don’t understand why author put the ability to get your skills updated automatically in castles?
It is just spoiled all my heroes. I had a very nice necromancer, when I entered the castle I immediately got additional might’s skills, in another castle I got another set of skills. Why Author choose for me what skills should have my Hero have and not and limited me with the choice.

Author: Mama's Boy (Slovakia), 28-12-2017 21:40
Awesome - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
I have just beaten it with Nature (Champion difficulty, mobile guards).
I had to resort to only using the dirtiest tricks in the book only to find they were not enough, and then come up with even dirtier tricks.
This map is the ultimate test.
Took me over a month IRL and throughout I had to load the game several hundred times because of my screwups.

ARMY:
I have beaten it with two heroes (to have more schools of magic available, and more security in case one of them dies), and a purely ranged army. When I captured other cities of other alignments, I adopted their best ranged units. In the end my army composition was 2 heroes (buffs, tanking, magic), fire elementals (fire-based damage + they are affected by attack boosts), elves (double attack makes them powerful enough until late game), faerie dragons (confusion and damaging spells), undead venom spawns (tanky, strong poison), and chaos medusas (stone gaze is very useful in some situations).
I was also looking to replace elves with order titans, but that would be far too expensive in late game, and I managed to win without doing so.
Such a mixed army incurred morale penalties, but it is easy enough to offset this into positive values with leadership and a couple items.

TACTICS:
Heroes slow down, bind and use quicksand to prevent enemy melee units from getting to my army, while my army shoots them down. If it is impossible to slow them down (e.g. Black dragons), cast sanctuary and make an impassable living wall around one or two ranged units who shoots them down. If the enemy has ranged units of his own, use confusion, blindness, wasp swarm, berserk and so on to keep them from firing. If it is impossible to keep the enemy ranged units from firing, make sure they shoot heroes to prevent unit losses (heroes can survive through potions of immortality, divine intervention, robes of the guardian, guardian angel, and such).
This was enough to almost everything without losses.
Occasionally, it was not enough (most notably while taking the final city, Valhalla). In that case, I attacked, caused some losses, and used the Town Portal during the initial turn to escape without losses. I did this proccess 10-15 times at Valhalla to get rid of the cyclopes before my main assault.

I am going to try beating it with Life next.

SUGGESTION TO THE AUTHOR:
Disable Town Portal.
It essentially cuts down most travel times in half, and allows a lot of game abuse (such as what I described).

Also, think about whether Pathfinding (Nature spell) should remain in the game. My second hero was a druid, so I had it since the beginning. You removed Pathfinding skill, but not the spell - that makes zero sense.

Consider giving the neutral towns castles (highest level defences) and ranged units as a garrison. This would make them more of a challenge. I steamrolled all neutral towns with no challenge whatsoever (except Northern Haven with catapults, which required a special approach).

Erlend Philip Wood (MAP CREATOR) (Strømmen, Norway) writes:
30-12-2017 04:59

Thanks for the thorough feedback, Mama's Boy. - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

Congratulations on beating the map with Nature. If you're planning on replaying it with Life, you are probably going to find it a lot harder. Life is the hardest faction to play on my map, Nature is the easiest. The reason is there are only 3 Life towns, and therefore Life can recruit a much smaller army, while there are 5 Nature towns, and they also have Creature Portals. I advise you to read the sign post right next to you when you start a new game, to get a better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the different factions, making it easier to choose. The numbers are pretty accurate.

Actually if you want a slightly easier experience, I recommend playing with 3 heroes, not 2. I know some good players have beaten this map with as many as 5 heroes in their main army, but to me that's just overkill. But by all means stick with 2 heroes if you prefer a greater challenge.

I too favour ranged units (and casters), but I often find you need 1 really strong melee unit to mop up the enemies that make it across the battlefield and threaten your fragile shooters. Otherwise you'll often take nasty losses. Have you tried experimenting with Formations? You can change it in the character screen. The Loose Formation which is always on by default is rubbish, only useful when facing Cyclopes and Black Dragons because of their area attacks. I always change it immediately to Square Formation. It gives you much better control over your defenses, because now the 4 troops in the rear are almost fully protected from ranged attacks. I would put your Faerie Dragons all the way in the back because of their size, ranged units in the middle row, and 3 tanky heroes in the front row. Now the enemy shooters just keep pounding fruitlessy at your wall of potion-drinking heroes. Very funny.

REGARDING POSSIBLE FUTURE MAP CHANGES:

1. The first thing I would do, is to remove the time limit (3 years). It was an early design desicion that I now regret.
2. I would remove the Cheat option (available in the Game Help building).
3. I would rebalance resources and Gold to make it somewhat harder to accumulate huge amounts. That would also make the Upkeep system (paying to keep captured towns loyal) work better.
4. I would make the Thief armies and the Warden of Justice appear earlier so they play a more significant role in the campaign. I would also rewrite the warning messages to make them crystal clear, because almost nobody playing my map understands what is going on: While you are on Zanfas' Island, Red Player releases 2 saboteur armies consisting of 7 Thief heroes in each, one in the west and one in the east. They move quickly and steal all your mines and other belongings (give them back to their original owner), and are completely invisible, because they have Grandmaster Stealth. Only a hero with Grandmaster Scouting can see someone with Grandmaster Stealth, so that's why you need the Warden of Justice. He is the only one on the map with that skill.
5. There is a hidden tunnel leading from the Warden of Justice's prison cell (beneath Dragon Isle) to the Treasure of the Knights Templar (and a major battle), but hardly anyone finds it, even if hints are given (you need to search the cell thoroughly until a message appears). I would rewrite it in plain English to make it obvious.

* I see no reason to disable the Pathfinding spell, in fact I think it is important and should stay. It compensates for the Pathfinding skill being disabled (which was done for other reasons). I want to allow as many playstyles as possible, so I don't want to remove ANYTHING from the game unless I really have to, only exploits.
* I was ambivalent about whether to allow Town Portal or not, as I'm aware it can be abused in certain situations, but I decided to let it go as it also has some legitimate uses. I might disable it if I update the map.

Mama's Boy (Slovakia) writes:
03-01-2018 15:16

Thank you for your reply ! - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

I had already restarted with Life. 2 heroes, crossbowmen, ballistae, and monks. So far so good, we will see :D
Thanks for the formation tip. I did not think of this before. I will see if I can make it useful for me with just 2 heroes.
I like all your possible future map change ideas.

Ad time limit:
I think it is a good feature. This was the first map I played with a time limit and it made me think very hard about what to do with my time.
I like the psychological aspect of it. But in practise, I ended up winning in about 18 months. So 36 months seems like a massive stretch.
I think removing the time limit makes sense if you also increase upkeep costs and increase the rate at which enemy heroes get stronger.
This would work as a hidden time limit (until a point of no return - too strong enemy or bankrupcy).

Ad cheating:
I think removing it is a good idea. The kind of people who would play this map would not cheat anyway.

Ad rebalancing resources:
On my first playthrough with Nature, I was forced to regularly farm all creature banks on the map to prevent myself from going bankrupt.
Later on, I dedicated my Warden of Justice to do this.
While fighting the Red player, there is already so much upkeep cost that you are literally bleeding money and trying to win the map before losing by going bankrupt.
My only salvation was that I managed to save up about 1 million gold beforehand (by farming creature banks over and over).
I think there may be some room to increase upkeep for enemy towns, but do it carefully.

Ad thief armies and the Warden of Justice:
The warning message about the thieves army was rather mysterious to me, but I managed to figure out what it means anyway.
I did not think the thieves would arrive so early, however.
Since my towns only had very low level lords in them, the thieves army captured a couple mines and then attacked my towns.
I figured out which town it is (Eastern Preserve), loaded the past turn and hired a small army. I looked around the map and saw some mines were no longer in my control.
By some deduction of where they might be (somewhere between the town and the closest lost mine), I found the thief army without any scouting skill whatsoever.
I bumped into them with pure luck, and easily defeated them (I think I was forced to let them pay ransom and flee, but they did not come back anyway).
In the eastern part of the map, the thieves appeared a lot later for some reason (several weeks or so after the western thieves were gone).
They started taking control of the Death area and eventually attacked the castle. I tried to apply the same method.
This time, no luck, I could not bump into them. So I hired small garrisons in both Death towns and also created one small army to run around the area and try to retake the mines.
This was enough to keep the damage to my economy in check.
Eventually a month or two later, I sent my Warden of Justice to find them, used him to recapture the mines one last time, and found out the thieves have disappeared!
I never found the thief army in the east. I think they might have gotten killed by some neutral army or something, not sure.

By the way, I busted Warden of Justice from the prison with Town Portal.
I understood the message, but I simply saw no path anywhere from where I was standing so I did not bother with it.
I inspected the walls visually, but I found nothing strange.
Maybe you could think of replacing one length of the wall with some rocks or something to make it visually obvious.
I thought it was bugged or something, and that even if there was really an other way, Town Portal is faster anyway.
I feel bad about that now. I am not used to scripts that trigger when you enter some spot in the map, so I did not consider this.
Well, that is another reason to disable Town Portal. I think the players will be forced to escape the prison manually after that.

In summary, I did not break the Warden of Justice out in the intended way, and by the time Warden of Justice got to the areas struck by thieves, the thieves were completely gone.

But I dont think you should make the warning messages more obvious at the cost of fantasy and imaginative writing.
If you want to make the messages more obvious, make sure the text does not break immersion. I think you can make the text obvious and immersive at the same time.
I think the map would benefit from having more backstory and seriousness in general.
For the most part, everything is sensible and there is a hint of a story - I like that.
But as someone else has said already, I think names Crap, Shithole, Mama's Boy, etc. are a bit unprofessional and immersion breaking.
If this map had a bit more background story elements, it would be perfect. I honestly believe that this is the most efficient way you can improve the map at this point.
I know, the map is supposed to be for the best players who are unlikely to care about some story, but I think everyone would appreciate this.

Maybe give the two starting towns and the main hero some respectable names, and give the player more motivation to hate the Barbarian Empire.
For example, but you could make the hero start off by fighting some berserkers as if he was an innocent resisting abuse from oppressors.
While writing this, I remembered this legend about William Wallace. You could reenact something very similar. It would add a lot more depth to the game.
-------------------- -----
Wallace had hated the English all his life, and he had his first fight with them when he was quite a boy. One day he had been out fishing and had caught a good many fish. On his way home he met some Englishmen.

"What have you in that basket?" asked one of them.

"Fish," replied Wallace.

"Fish? Where did you get them?"

"I caught them."

"Give them to me," said one of the Englishmen. "What need have beggarly Scotsmen of fish?"

"No," said Wallace, "I will give you some if you ask nicely, but I won't give them all to you."

"What insolence," cried the Englishman, drawing his sword. "Give them to me at once!"

Wallace had only his fishing rod with which to defend himself, but he was very strong, and with it he gave the Englishman such a blow on the head that he fell dead. Wallace then seized the dead man's sword, and he used it so well that the others soon ran away. Then Wallace went home quietly with his fish."

source : http://www.mainlesso n.com/display.php?au thor=marshall&book=s cotland&story=wallac e
-------------------

Ad van Kempen writes:
28-01-2018 15:57

Disable Town Portal - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

I agree with Mama's Boy, disable Town Portel. See, my message about playing with Life: I did not cross the whirlpool - why should I? It would cost me hundreds of champions, monks and crossbowmen - but I took the continental road ( Town Portals) to Valhalla.

Mama's Boy (Slovakia) writes:
02-10-2018 13:22

My Life playthrough attempt - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

Hey there.

I just thought about stopping by and letting you know how my Life playthrough was going :D
I got to the part where I reached the middle island.
Since it is my second playthrough, I managed that a lot faster this time.
However, patrols on the island are so much stronger than me that it became incredibly tedious and time consuming to keep winning without losses anymore.
So I got bored and quit shortly afterwards. That was probably still back in January.
Haven't played it since.

I am sure it's possible to win, but it would be way too tedious to do so.
However even now, several months later, I remember playing this map with nostalgia!
Cheers!

Author: Thomas Aichstill (Austria), 21-11-2017 11:08
Erlend Philip Wood !!! - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
Hello mr. Wood, I have a Question:
Why is the Map only with 1 Human? i would like to play the map with a friend Multiplayer. How much time does it need to change this? Would be great.
And why is it only possible to play at Player 1 (upper left). Thanks for writing me back!

Or someone else who know the answers.
Why are lot of H4 Maps in here only for 1 human. :`(

29-12-2017 05:32

Hello Thomas. - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

* Thanks for the interest in my map, but from what you describe, I don't think this is the right map for you. I have some suggestions for you though. Please read till the end.
* There are several reasons this map was designed for 1 player only. The first is that the map was intended to be very hard. The second is that the computer is really incompetent and stupid and cannot compete with a human on equal terms. By that I mean that if all starting locations are created equal, and you can choose any one for either a human or a computer player because it doesn't matter, the map would be very easy to win, because the computer is just moving randomly about and doesn't have a clear strategy. The third is that the map is Extra Large, which makes the computer even more helpless. The computer may play reasonably well on a Small or Medium map on Champion difficulty, but on a XL map it is just Lost In Space unless it has some advantage. The only way to make the map as challenging as I intended, was to make it 1 player and make sure all the enemy heroes and towns are custom made and on steroids.
* You have to start in the upper left corner for similar reasons. The map was carefully designed so that the human player will have to fight his way through different sectors which are progressively harder to conquer. It's part of what makes this map unique and gives it its flavour. It wouldn't be possible to make it that way if the player could start anywhere.
* It's VERY hard to change. The map wasn't designed for that. You would have to change 1000 things and really know what you're doing. Even I who designed it would probably have to spend weeks to make it work right, as I can't remember everything I did several years later, and there are a lot of complicated scripts, probably more than almost all other maps available. So just forget about it, it's just not worth it. Choose a different map unless you are a very good player and want to play this one on your own. There are lots of good maps designed for 2 or more humans out there if you look around a bit.
* If you are struggling to find a multiplayer map, you might want to try the sites Heroesportal.net and Celestialheavens.com as well. At those sites you can choose how many players you want in the search box. But this site has the best selection of maps, of course.
* I've got an idea: If you were really interested in my map, but want to play multiplayer with up to 6 players, why don't you just try the Zanfas' Challenge map? It's already in Heroes 4 so you don't even need to download it. In case you didn't know, A Grandmaster's Challenge (my map) is just a heavily modified version of Zanfas' Challenge. But Zanfas' Challenge is made for 6 players, and also very easy unless you only play with human players. All equal-opportunity multiplayer maps have that weakness.

Good luck and happy hunting, Austria.

Author: Jarvis (Toulouse, France), 21-09-2017 23:36 Like
Grandmaster Challenge - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
Good Job, High Entertainment.

Author: Don (Canada), 14-12-2016 20:40
Repetative viewpoint - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
In life viewpoints are seemingly endless however do not be troubled, just do the best as YOU see at that moment.( Alpha and Omega ) Don't be surprised if from one moment to the next you are a new YOU with a new viewpoint, Older and Wiser!?

Author: Sjogga, 14-12-2016 15:42
Enjoyable but repetative. - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
Overall, A Grandmaster's Challenge is a very well designed map. It does feel like an epic adventure where you start with nothing and gradually working your way up to the top. Since it is based on Zanfas Challenge, it is very rich in powerups and resources and provides for a really enjoyable character development, sort of like a RPG game. The downside however is that the flaws of the original game has been disabled from the map, rather than worked around making certain playstyles impossible (necromancy is disabled for example). Since the numbers on troops are bumped up to such enourmous amount, certain artifacts are a must-find to have any chance. If the map didn't spawn with those artifacts on it, you may as well restart it until it.
Then there is the names. Naming the hero "Momasboy who's going to die soon" and the main town "Shithole" is bad design and makes the map look very unproffesional and ofputting.
Conclussion: Provides a unique and fun adventure, but tend to get repeatative. The devil is in the details, and the details needs some polishing.

29-12-2017 03:48

Thanks for the balanced feedback. - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

* Artifacts (and spells, I would add) are indeed important, and I tried to design the map so that the most essential ones would become available as they are needed (through various methods). For example, a lot of the best artifacts can be acquired from Quest Huts at key points throughout the game. You always get those artifacts (or Relics) as long as you complete the quest. A lot of thought went into which ones you get at which time. It's not just random. Another way to get important items (and experience) is by defeating the enemies' main heroes. They are not the regular stupid heroes of HOMM4 carrying all kinds of crap, they are custom made and carry quality artifacts that are handpicked.
* SORRY about the names of the main hero and the two starting towns. Unprofessional it may be, but to me they are hilarious. That's just because I have a twisted sense of humour, and also because I wanted to overexaggerate the humble beginnings of the hero. They are VERY humble, he lives in a Shit Hole... But the rest of the names are actually either neutral and informative, like Southern Stronghold (a Barbarian town in the south) and Blue Archmage (an Archmage hero belonging to Blue Player), or appropriate, like the capital of the final enemy, Valhalla (the place you go to fight after you die in Norse mythology).

Author: Don (Toronto Canada), 06-11-2016 04:31
Inspiration - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
I had long ago been inspired by art, I meant in fun when I said Baazerk because! Baserk was the Only spell I found to keep enemy heroe occupide with. Well done!

Author: Speaking for Zanfas, 05-06-2016 03:20
A Joke - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
1. You copied Zanfas' Challenge map and used it as your own.

2. You cut Death's strength in half by getting rid of necromancy.

3. You got rid of any chance of major mind spells such as hypnotize.

4. You overpowered everything because you're like the DM/GM in tabletop RPG's that would rather hammer players rather than see them enjoy themselves.

5. You crippled traveling, not to make it more difficult, but to make the game unbearable.

6. You got rid of specific artifacts because YOU didn't like them for the game, not because anyone else didn't like them.

7. I beat your game then deleted it, because it and you are a joke.

29-12-2017 02:34

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the map. It took a lot of hard work to create. - A GRANDMASTER&#

1. Yes, I copied Zanfas' Challenge and used that as the basis for a heavily modified version. But I give the original map credit in both the opening and ending screen. I don't know who created it, it came with the game.
2. Much better that way. A Necromancer able to raise hordes of Vampires for free is by far the easiest hero type to play. Don't even need towns to recruit from, the army just grows and grows and is pretty much unbeatable once it gets past a few Vampires.
3. Again, Hypnotize was removed for a reason. It's the most ridiculously overpowered spell in the game, to such an extent that it ruins ANY challenge of combat. You hardly even need an army, just make the enemies fight each other. I beat 1,2 MILLION Vampires that way once.
4. True, I probably overpowered a lot of things. My goal was to make a map that would challenge the best players. Not many are available.
5. I didn't hamper travelling in any other way than putting a limit to the Scouting skill for design reasons, which in turn affects Pathfinding and makes it max out at Expert level. All the different kinds of Boots are available, as well as the Town Portal and Pathfinding spells. You can also cast Mire to slow enemies.
6. A handful of artifacts was removed, not because I don't like them, but always for specific reasons. For example, some items had to be removed because they duplicate spells that I also removed for good reasons. A lot of thought went into the design, and I never removed anything unless I had to. With regards to artifacts, yes I removed a few, but I also added almost all the Relics. They are not normally available.
7. Congratulations on finishing it. It's pretty big and takes a long time, so I'm surprised you did if you really think it was that bad.

Cheers, Erlend.

30-12-2017 05:13

Correction. - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

5. Sorry, I remembered it the wrong way around. Pathfinding was indeed disabled, which in turn affects Scouting, limiting it to Advanced level. My bad.

LordL (Moscow, Russia) writes:
02-09-2018 19:37

1.2 MILLION - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

What was that map? I want to play)))

02-09-2018 21:32

Regarding 1,2 million Vampires - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

Hi, LordL from Russia. The map I mentioned with 1,2 million Vampires is quite popular here at this site. It's called "All Alone In The Dark" by Asger Folmann. I met the (neutral) Vampire army somewhere in the lower level dungeons, I think. But although the map itself was quite tough, I never had to fight anything close to those crazy numbers anywhere else, so I think it must have been a bug in the game, the Editor, or an unintentional mistake by the author. Either way, it was still good fun!

LordL (Moscow, Russia) writes:
03-09-2018 17:07

reply - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

Tnx

Author: Артем (Sankt-Peterburg, Russia), 10-10-2015 20:10 Like
It is impossible - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
Can you tell me how to play as Death?
It is impossible! HELP!

Erlend Philip Wood (map creator) (Strømmen, Norway) writes:
07-01-2016 17:17

How to win with Death - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE

*For several pages of GENERAL advise on how to beat the map, I recommend visiting the "Game Help" building. It has a large sun on the roof and is located right next to your first city (Shit Hole). You need to save up some Gold first, though.
*You may get some ideas if you read through all the map comments at www.maps4heroes.com.
*You should have at least two heroes in your main army. You can't win with just one. The map has been tested with 2 and 3 heroes, but some players use as many as 5.
*Pay attention to the message given on day 5, regarding what kind of troops the computer players build. You should choose the same, because it will allow you to recruit twice as many creatures once you capture their cities. Playing as Death, you should choose: Cerberi, Venom Spawn and Devils. The Necromancy skill has been disabled for this scenario, so you won't get any free Vampires that way.
*Once you have captured your second city (Crap), leave your Imps and Skeletons at home for city defense. Otherwise you will just lose them in large numbers. When you are able to recruit Devils; leave your Cerberi as well.
*Nature is probably the easiest faction to play on this map. 2nd is Chaos, then Order 3rd, Death 4th, Might 5th, and Life 6th. There are players that have won with Life.
*Unless you are able to win most battles without losses, you are doing something wrong. In that case, I doubt you will finish. Find a good strategy that allows flawless victories. Magic is hugely important.
*I recommend you spend the first 6 months in your home sector (desert), building up your heroes and armies before you challenge the computer Alliance. You have plenty of time; if you visit everything, you will finish the whole map in about 2 years +. The time limit is 3 years.

Best of luck!

Author: m, 06-09-2015 11:17 Like
Tough but somewhat repetitive - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
Played as Life, had some problems dealing with the blue wizard (lost around 50 monks before the resurrection) neutral death knight (didn't lose anything but spent a lot of time and mana berserking his ice demons while continually displacing his other troops until i could finally shoot him down) and, obviously, Rage'n'Fur y (had to sacrifice all my 220+ angels to win the game). Other than those three, the battles were a standard combination of 1.kill the hero using some berserked unit 2.disable the archers (forgetfulness/blind /wasp swarm) 3.slow down the troops(mass slow/binding arrow/quicksand) 4.mass misfortune 5. if possible, cast berserk a few times more 6. Monks, buffed in every possible way, shoot the remaining enemies down 7. In case you are facing black dragons, skip steps 1-5, and take angels instead of monks 8. If one of your heroes dies (I had three), cast divine intervention 9. PROFIT! By the end it gets kinda boring :/

Author: Razorockham (Voerendaal, Netherlands), 31-05-2015 22:03
A Grandmaster's Challenge
The very, very best HoMM IV map ever made!

Author: Todor (Bulgaria), 04-03-2013 03:02 Like
The Reclusive Hermit's Quest
I've couldn't get it. I've tried many times.

Erlend Philip Wood writes:
04-03-2013 15:13

Regarding The Reclusive Hermit's Quest

The Reclusive Hermit will only help Life aligned Players. If you try to visit with a different alignment, he will tell you so.

Author: Todor (Bulgaria), 04-03-2013 02:59 Like
Finally
I’ve just finished the map on the highest level. I have to admit, it was difficult without all the spells I’m used to use. I’ve played with Order. Two heroes (Order, Combat, Chaos, Life and Tactics/Order, Combat, Nature, Death and Life), but before the last battle I had to hire another one hero. I needed him to have advanced Nature magic, so that he can help me with a couple of spells. She was level 1, but she did her purpose . When I had 11 genies I’ve started to fight whit all I had, but after I had 4 Titans, I’ve made my army only from the main hero, genies and titans. When he became lv. 27, I’ve added the other hero. Most used spells: Berserk, Forgetfulness, Mass Slow, Cat Reflexes, Giant Strength, Quicksand, Create Illusion (Genies), Bless, Confusion, Mana Flare, Song of Pease, Divine Intervention, Town Gate (it was very useful, when I had to fight more than 400 Black Dragons whit around 120 Titans and 450 Genies and my two heroes). Good Work!

Author: Arwena (Polska), 19-02-2013 14:57
:)
Very difficult game-although I am not a beginner. The hardest part - to beat the last two red players - I approached the battle three or four times. But - I won! Thank you for a great map.

Author: Conrad Renberg (Pasco, WA USA), 14-01-2013 23:14
WOW
This is one tough map. I finally finished it using the Order alignment. It certainly took a long time and several redos. Thank you Mr. Wood for a very challenging piece of work!! I can only imagine the enormous amount of effort to produce this classic map-probably much longer than it took me to play it. I certainly plan to try again with a different alignmment. Thanks again!!

Author: Renaud (Paris, France), 14-01-2013 02:00
?!?
Ad thank you using my languege,your french is better than my english;however,by respect to other players i propose using english here.in fact i still don't understand your explanation(no matter the language)...

Author: Ad van Kempen (Pays-Bas), 14-01-2013 00:41 Like
Whirlpool
Non, Renaud, traverser le tourbillon sud de l'isle des dragons n'est pas nécessaire. Avec la incantation Town Portal vous pouvez evitez ce passage -mon opinion: un passage tres chèr. Town Portal a Zanfase Island et ensuite retour a votre château d'attache

Author: Renaud (Paris, France), 13-01-2013 02:04
Not cross the whirlpool?
What do you mean Ad?i thought whirlpool
was a must to get red player territory;what kind of "Town Portals"do you speak about?more,loosing ten per cent of our army
is not a sharp pain.Erland's map is full of surprises to me:Thieves,whirlpool ....!

Author: Ad van Kempen (Pays-Bas), 13-01-2013 00:58 Like
Alignment Life is not impossible!
Playing with Alignment life - the most impossible mission, according to Erlend Wood. In fact it isn't more difficult than Order or Death. I completed this mission in 303 days, score 1270. 4 heroes, 48-48-46-46. Thanks to Renaud for his suggestion to use the Wasp-spell. The use of this spell was absolutely neccessary, for this time I didn't have the rings of lesser negation. I did not cross the whirlpool - why should I? It would cost me hundreds of champions, monks and crossbowmen - but I took the continental road ( Town Portals) to Valhalla.

Author: Renaud (Paris,France), 10-01-2013 18:25
thieves follow
Further,when i free the Warden,i am quite close to the end,thieves are not my problem.I agree with Ad van Kempen,this last good idea does not work well.May be you shoud forbid town portal spell except for the Warden of couse...

Author: Renaud (Paris,France), 10-01-2013 18:12
thieves again
I played 3 times,law alignment(first with two heroes,i was overwhelmed by old erick,other two with 5 heroes,really more manageable)i never saw the thieves as you explain,i dealt only with the six neutral armies,i had more or less one million gold and several hundred each ressource,so it was always easy to pay fees at the beginning of each day.O.K. Erland i also superseded your "grail condition",usin g a town portal spell!

Author: Erlend Philip Wood (Oslo, Norway), 10-01-2013 15:56
Reply to Renaud from the map author:
Sometime during the time you spend on the large central island (Zanfa's Island), after the warning message is given, two armies consisting of 7 Thieves (level 15-16) are released in your lands, one in the east and one in the west. However, they are all invisible to you, because they all have Grandmaster Stealth. You can only detect their presence by observing the trail of lost mines and dwellings and such. This can be quite serious if you don't get rid of them, since you need the resources to pay upkeep for your captured towns. The Warden is important because he is the only one with high enough Scouting skill to find them. But you don't necessarily HAVE to defeat the Thieves in order to complete the map, it will just be harder to manage your economy.

| 1-30 | 31-60 | 61-79 |

A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE walkthrough

SPECIAL FEATURES OF "A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE":

* Artificially enhanced, super-strong computer heroes, up to a maximum of Level 70.
* Super-sized armies, potentially reaching numbers exceeding 100.000 strong.
* More than a dozen major battles to be fought.
* Lots of Relics and special artifacts to be discovered.
* Experience awarded for completing quests and for major achievements.
* Different objectives and rewards depending on which alignment you play (you always play as Purple Player, but you are free to choose alignment).
* Depending on your choice, some important computer heroes may adapt by automatically equipping different artifacts in response, like Armor or Shields of the opposite alignment to you, ensuring that they and their army always have a permanent Ward against your troops and spells.
* Neutral (Gray) heroes roam freely around the central island, capable of capturing towns and mines, while automatically generating troops for their armies every turn.
* Optional in-game help (for a price) and cheat (renouncing any claim to victory).
* Option to continue the game after the time limit has expired (renouncing any claim to victory).
* Shops. Well, sort of. More of a convenience to keep your inventory tidy than a way to make a fortune, really. The shop keeper isn't very bright, he will buy all your crappy stuff, in bulk.
* Upkeep: Captured enemy towns demand resources to stay loyal to you, with a chance for rebellion in favour of their original owner. This way, previously eliminated Players may re-emerge!
* Collaboration: If a computer Player liberates a town or mine originally belonging to another member of the computer Alliance, they won't keep it for themselves, but will give it back to its original owner instead. This is another way that previously eliminated Players may re-emerge!
* Strategic warfare: At some point, if the war goes badly for the computer, it may begin to fight dirty, and attack you in unconventional and cowardly ways rather than using brute force.
* Automatic hero improvement: After a certain time, when the warning message is given, the elite heroes of your main computer opponent will start to increase their attributes rapidly, with different countdown timers for their Defense, Attack, Spell Points, Speed and Level. If you take to long, you may have to face unbelievably strong heroes!

Heroes 3: Horn of the Abyss 1.6.1 - Download Section

Heroes 7 News

Heroes 3 map: "Atlantic Revolutions"

Heroes 3 New map: "1797:Northern Italy campaign"

Heroes 7 maps

Heroes 7 patch 2.2 now available

Heroes 7 Creatures Fortress

Heroes 7 patch 1.8 now available

Heroes 7 patch 1.7 now available

Heroes 7 patch 1.6 now available

Heroes 7 patch 1.5 now available

Heroes 7 patch 1.4 now available

Heroes 7 patch 1.3 now available

Heroes 7 patch 1.2.1 now available

Heroes 7 cheats

Heroes 7 available!!! - Launch Trailer

Heroes 7 - closed beta 2 now available!

Heroes 7 screenshots

Heroes 7 Elves faction

Heroes 7 Dwarves faction

Heroes 7 Academy faction

Heroes 7 Haven faction

Heroes 7 release date: 29 September 2015

Haps4Heroes.com

How can I support maps4heroes.com ?

YooMoney:

Copyright © 1999-2024 All questions and comments please mail to evgkuz@yandex.ru

Privacy Policy