Hm, I get your point. It was a bit too much for me. I was able to kill them all since had strong army but after grinding 10 of them I felt bored. This is my personal feeling and it might be challenging for other player. Thanks for the map though. It was challenging. more...
Oh and some heroes being easy or not is also always about luck. You know how AI can sometimes be stupid and break down their armies and sometimes unite them under one main-hero. Sometimes they come at you with twice the army, sometimes with half of it and then lost both halves due to not being prepa more...
You get TP when you really need it, which is during the mid/end-game invasion.
Pink hero with 1000 of each dragons is guarding it. You can either defeat it yourself taking some heavy penalties or alternatively you can take over all their castles in which case the hero is banished in 7 days and th more...
In the original version there was the problem of enemy no longer recruiting more heroes - which apparently you didn't have. I fixed it in this version so that they can hire more... but weird enough, they don't...?
Hi valery!!! I've just finished TEW IV the second times with MOS, 3 month earlier than MoD (M5W3D1 vs M8W3D6). At first it's harder but later it's more powerful with a lot of super demons. Really enjoyed your art...:D. I'm going Alexander the Great and when i finish i'll inf more...
If you are a veteran player looking for a serious challenge, here's your chance to prove you have mastered this game. Be prepared for massive, decisive battles of progressively tougher difficulty, with a grand finale destined to become a tactical nightmare! Recommended only for experienced players who know all the tricks of the game. Play this map on Champion level, with Mobile Guards.
Author: Don (Canada), 14-12-2016 20:40 Repetative viewpoint - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE In life viewpoints are seemingly endless however do not be troubled, just do the best as YOU see at that moment.( Alpha and Omega ) Don't be surprised if from one moment to the next you are a new YOU with a new viewpoint, Older and Wiser!?
Author: Sjogga, 14-12-2016 15:42 Enjoyable but repetative. - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE Overall, A Grandmaster's Challenge is a very well designed map. It does feel like an epic adventure where you start with nothing and gradually working your way up to the top. Since it is based on Zanfas Challenge, it is very rich in powerups and resources and provides for a really enjoyable character development, sort of like a RPG game. The downside however is that the flaws of the original game has been disabled from the map, rather than worked around making certain playstyles impossible (necromancy is disabled for example). Since the numbers on troops are bumped up to such enourmous amount, certain artifacts are a must-find to have any chance. If the map didn't spawn with those artifacts on it, you may as well restart it until it.
Then there is the names. Naming the hero "Momasboy who's going to die soon" and the main town "Shithole" is bad design and makes the map look very unproffesional and ofputting.
Conclussion: Provides a unique and fun adventure, but tend to get repeatative. The devil is in the details, and the details needs some polishing.
Author: Don (Toronto Canada), 06-11-2016 04:31 Inspiration - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE I had long ago been inspired by art, I meant in fun when I said Baazerk because! Baserk was the Only spell I found to keep enemy heroe occupide with. Well done!
Author: Speaking for Zanfas, 05-06-2016 03:20 A Joke - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE 1. You copied Zanfas' Challenge map and used it as your own.
2. You cut Death's strength in half by getting rid of necromancy.
3. You got rid of any chance of major mind spells such as hypnotize.
4. You overpowered everything because you're like the DM/GM in tabletop RPG's that would rather hammer players rather than see them enjoy themselves.
5. You crippled traveling, not to make it more difficult, but to make the game unbearable.
6. You got rid of specific artifacts because YOU didn't like them for the game, not because anyone else didn't like them.
7. I beat your game then deleted it, because it and you are a joke.
Author: Артем (Sankt-Peterburg, Russia), 10-10-2015 20:10 +10 It is impossible - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE Can you tell me how to play as Death?
It is impossible! HELP!
Erlend Philip Wood (map creator) (Strømmen, Norway) writes:
How to win with Death - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE
*For several pages of GENERAL advise on how to beat the map, I recommend visiting the "Game Help" building. It has a large sun on the roof and is located right next to your first city (Shit Hole). You need to save up some Gold first, though.
*You may get some ideas if you read through all the map comments at www.maps4heroes.com.
*You should have at least two heroes in your main army. You can't win with just one. The map has been tested with 2 and 3 heroes, but some players use as many as 5.
*Pay attention to the message given on day 5, regarding what kind of troops the computer players build. You should choose the same, because it will allow you to recruit twice as many creatures once you capture their cities. Playing as Death, you should choose: Cerberi, Venom Spawn and Devils. The Necromancy skill has been disabled for this scenario, so you won't get any free Vampires that way.
*Once you have captured your second city (Crap), leave your Imps and Skeletons at home for city defense. Otherwise you will just lose them in large numbers. When you are able to recruit Devils; leave your Cerberi as well.
*Nature is probably the easiest faction to play on this map. 2nd is Chaos, then Order 3rd, Death 4th, Might 5th, and Life 6th. There are players that have won with Life.
*Unless you are able to win most battles without losses, you are doing something wrong. In that case, I doubt you will finish. Find a good strategy that allows flawless victories. Magic is hugely important.
*I recommend you spend the first 6 months in your home sector (desert), building up your heroes and armies before you challenge the computer Alliance. You have plenty of time; if you visit everything, you will finish the whole map in about 2 years +. The time limit is 3 years.
Best of luck!
Author: m, 06-09-2015 11:17 +8 Tough but somewhat repetitive - A GRANDMASTER'S CHALLENGE Played as Life, had some problems dealing with the blue wizard (lost around 50 monks before the resurrection) neutral death knight (didn't lose anything but spent a lot of time and mana berserking his ice demons while continually displacing his other troops until i could finally shoot him down) and, obviously, Rage'n'Fur y (had to sacrifice all my 220+ angels to win the game). Other than those three, the battles were a standard combination of 1.kill the hero using some berserked unit 2.disable the archers (forgetfulness/blind /wasp swarm) 3.slow down the troops(mass slow/binding arrow/quicksand) 4.mass misfortune 5. if possible, cast berserk a few times more 6. Monks, buffed in every possible way, shoot the remaining enemies down 7. In case you are facing black dragons, skip steps 1-5, and take angels instead of monks 8. If one of your heroes dies (I had three), cast divine intervention 9. PROFIT! By the end it gets kinda boring :/
Author: Razorockham (Voerendaal, Netherlands), 31-05-2015 22:03 A Grandmaster's Challenge The very, very best HoMM IV map ever made!
Author: Todor (Bulgaria), 04-03-2013 03:02 +10 The Reclusive Hermit's Quest I've couldn't get it. I've tried many times.
Erlend Philip Wood writes:
Regarding The Reclusive Hermit's Quest
The Reclusive Hermit will only help Life aligned Players. If you try to visit with a different alignment, he will tell you so.
Author: Todor (Bulgaria), 04-03-2013 02:59 +10 Finally I’ve just finished the map on the highest level. I have to admit, it was difficult without all the spells I’m used to use. I’ve played with Order. Two heroes (Order, Combat, Chaos, Life and Tactics/Order, Combat, Nature, Death and Life), but before the last battle I had to hire another one hero. I needed him to have advanced Nature magic, so that he can help me with a couple of spells. She was level 1, but she did her purpose . When I had 11 genies I’ve started to fight whit all I had, but after I had 4 Titans, I’ve made my army only from the main hero, genies and titans. When he became lv. 27, I’ve added the other hero. Most used spells: Berserk, Forgetfulness, Mass Slow, Cat Reflexes, Giant Strength, Quicksand, Create Illusion (Genies), Bless, Confusion, Mana Flare, Song of Pease, Divine Intervention, Town Gate (it was very useful, when I had to fight more than 400 Black Dragons whit around 120 Titans and 450 Genies and my two heroes). Good Work!
Author: Arwena (Polska), 19-02-2013 14:57 :) Very difficult game-although I am not a beginner. The hardest part - to beat the last two red players - I approached the battle three or four times. But - I won! Thank you for a great map.
* Artificially enhanced, super-strong computer heroes, up to a maximum of Level 70.
* Super-sized armies, potentially reaching numbers exceeding 100.000 strong.
* More than a dozen major battles to be fought.
* Lots of Relics and special artifacts to be discovered.
* Experience awarded for completing quests and for major achievements.
* Different objectives and rewards depending on which alignment you play (you always play as Purple Player, but you are free to choose alignment).
* Depending on your choice, some important computer heroes may adapt by automatically equipping different artifacts in response, like Armor or Shields of the opposite alignment to you, ensuring that they and their army always have a permanent Ward against your troops and spells.
* Neutral (Gray) heroes roam freely around the central island, capable of capturing towns and mines, while automatically generating troops for their armies every turn.
* Optional in-game help (for a price) and cheat (renouncing any claim to victory).
* Option to continue the game after the time limit has expired (renouncing any claim to victory).
* Shops. Well, sort of. More of a convenience to keep your inventory tidy than a way to make a fortune, really. The shop keeper isn't very bright, he will buy all your crappy stuff, in bulk.
* Upkeep: Captured enemy towns demand resources to stay loyal to you, with a chance for rebellion in favour of their original owner. This way, previously eliminated Players may re-emerge!
* Collaboration: If a computer Player liberates a town or mine originally belonging to another member of the computer Alliance, they won't keep it for themselves, but will give it back to its original owner instead. This is another way that previously eliminated Players may re-emerge!
* Strategic warfare: At some point, if the war goes badly for the computer, it may begin to fight dirty, and attack you in unconventional and cowardly ways rather than using brute force.
* Automatic hero improvement: After a certain time, when the warning message is given, the elite heroes of your main computer opponent will start to increase their attributes rapidly, with different countdown timers for their Defense, Attack, Spell Points, Speed and Level. If you take to long, you may have to face unbelievably strong heroes!